Sunday, November 28, 2010

My OCD Life


I’m not the type of person who is real OCD over things, although I am best friends with someone who is and i drive him insane because there is no order in my life. I don’t know if this OCD or a routine that i continually thrive to do, allow me to explain: every morning i wake up and on my way to the kitchen before making a bowl of my oh so delicious reese’s puffs i flip open my lid to my laptop, then turn the tv on sportscenter, and then begin to get breakfast. Now at night it starts with a different routine: I sit on my computer for a while, brush my teeth, change, and make sure all the lights are out and the doors are locked. If i dont have a visual image of me locking the door, it will drive me insane the whole night and i will most likely lose sleep over it, or if i leave the deck light on.
This recently had me thinking about how important time is in our lives. On a Friday afternoon I was heading out to hang out with some of my friends and as I was heading out I was kind of doing a “grab everything you can without stopping” kind of thing because I was in a hurry.(and im pretty sure that was a run-on sentence) I get 15 minutes into my drive and i start thinking “Did i lock the door?” this is gonna drive me insane, so of course i turn around and check to see if the door is in fact locked, and indeed it was. I was frustrated with myself but i couldnt live without knowing that my house was in fact sealed up. All i wanted to do was go and have a good time with my friends and one little thing kept me from doing that. In turn this also had me thinking, if I’m spending so much time on the things that don’t really matter, am I changing the world? or making a difference in someone else’s life? I think we are all hard on ourselves when it comes to certain things, but i give myself a hard time because I have yet to publish a book. But on that Friday night all I wanted to do was spend time with people who care about me as much as I care about them, and I couldn’t because of a dumb lock on a door. Wherever you are in life, just stop what you are doing and spend some time with those you love. It’s something we take for granted everyday in life and if the love from the people who love you isn’t enough, then what is?

No comments:

Post a Comment